About the Company
One of the largest and fastest growing landscaping companies in Minnesota, Southview Design has been designing and building residential landscapes all over the greater Twin Cities area since 1978. Southview has been recognized as a Top 25 Design/Build Leader in the country by Landscape Management Magazine.
Headquarters: St. Paul, MN
Design Studio: International Market Square, Minneapolis MN
Phone: (651) 203-3000
Primary Business: Landscape design and construction for Twin Cities area
Ownership: Privately held
Employees: 60 during the winter months; more than 150 during the landscape installation season
Customers: Over 7,000 customers throughout the Twin Cities area
President & CEO: Chris Clifton
Vice President and General Manager: Ryan Slipka
Landscape Design/Partners: Tim Johnson, Josh Koller
Marketing & Business Development: Karen Filloon
Southview's landscape designs have won awards from:
• 2015 National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) Region 3 North Central Winner Landscape Design $60,000 and Over
• 2015 National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) National Winner Landscape Design $60,000 and Over
• 2014 Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association (3 awards)
• 2013 National Association of the Remodeling Industry, MN Chapter
• 2013 Gold Award from Professional Remodeler Magazine
• 2013 Recognition Award from PLANET (Professional Landcare Network)
• 2012 Minnesota Chapter of National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) award for residential exterior
• 2012 Regional NARI award for residential exterior
• 2012 Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association award
• 2012 Gertens Landscaper's Challenge
• 2011 National Association of the Remodeling Industry award (Honorable Mention in the residential exterior category)
• 2011 Gertens Landscaper's Challenge
• 2010 Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association
• 2009 Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association
• 2008 Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association
Below is an alphabetical list of the Southview Design’s landscape services:
• Arbors, pergolas and trellises
• Backyard games: sport courts and putting greens
• Boulder wall landscaping
• Drainage solutions and channel drains for patios, pool decks and driveways
• Fireplaces, fire pits and fire tables
• Front entry landscape design
• Garden designs
• Landscape maintenance and care
• Lawn irrigation and sprinkler systems
• Outdoor kitchens
• Outdoor lighting
• Outdoor room design and construction
• Patio design and construction
• Paver driveway design and installation
• Permeable pavers and sustainable landscape design
• Retaining walls from modular blocks
• Stacked stone, natural stone walls and stone seat walls
• Stone, brick and concrete landscaping steps
• Swimming pool design and installation
• Walkways in stone, pavers and brick
• Waterfalls, fountains and streams
A typical project begins with an initial meeting with the homeowners to determine their goals and budget and answer questions about Southview’s design-build process and fees, warranty, experience and qualifications.
There is no charge for this meeting, which helps to define the overall scope, direction and parameters of the project. Homeowners who wish to move forward with design pay a design fee based on project size and complexity.
After measuring the property, the designer produces a landscape design incorporating desired landscape elements: patio, water features, walls, walkways, planting beds, etc., along with an estimate of what it will take to build it, general information about construction methods, and initial suggestions for plants and materials.
After the homeowner and designer agree on a preliminary budget and design, the designer refines the design and layout, selecting plants and any hardscape materials, soil testing (if necessary), conducting an inventory and analysis of existing plants, and coordinating bids from subcontractors.
If the design includes a deck, pool or other structure, Southview helps obtain the necessary permits and approvals. When the homeowner signs the construction contract and puts down a deposit, the project is scheduled. If the homeowner does not sign a construction contract, the design remains the property of Southview Design.
Projects are built in the order of when contracts are signed. During slow times, construction may begin quickly; in peak season, it may take three to four weeks from contract signing to installation. Many projects can be built a couple of days while more complex projects can take a few weeks, and the weather can also affect the timing.
On the day the project is completed, the Southview project manager or designer takes the homeowner on a guided tour of their new landscape, providing information about to care for newly planted trees, plants, and turf.
Boilerplate: Southview Design is one of the largest and fastest growing landscaping companies in MN. With more than 125 employees during the landscape season, Southview is expert in planning, construction, landscape design, and landscape care for Minneapolis and Twin Cities area residences. Founded in 1978, Southview has completed over 7,000 landscaping projects. Listed among the top 25 fastest growing landscape firms in the U.S., Southview's landscape designs have garnered awards from the Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association, the Minnesota Chapter of NARI, the National Association of Landscape Professionals ( formerly PLANET), and Professional Remodeler Magazine. For more information, visit www.southviewdesign.com.